The Month of la Francophonie, March 2017
“CIUT 89.5 FM Celebrating 30 years…Representing The Sound of Your City”
“30 Years of French Programming with Pot Pourri on CIUT 89.5 FM “
Since 1988, CIUT 89.5FM and “Pot Pourri” have been celebrating the “Month of la Francophonie” with a wide range of partners and sponsors in Canada and around the world. However, this year CIUT and “Pot Pourri”celebrate their 30th birthday with plenty of events and special programming suitable for all ages and audiences.
“Pot Pourri”, the only French program at CIUT, airs on Sundays from 11:00AM to 1:00PM. “Pot Pourri” is in partnership with the University of Toronto’s French Department (St. George campus),the Department of Language Studies, (Mississauga Campus), the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) and Radio France International.
Highlights of our special programming and events:
- March 5: Launch with special guests and long time partners. International Women’s Day 2017 – Focus on “Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50-50 by 2030”.
- March 10: French Literature Exhibition in the University of Toronto Library, Scarborough Campus.
- March 12: Arts, culture, Francophone immigration and economic development in minority communities in Canada.
- March 13 :”Cocktail-ciné” films for all francophones of UofT Mississauga campus at 6:00 PM
- March 16: “Talent Night” on Campus in Mississauga, UofT at 6:00 PM
- March 19: International Francophone Day (March 20, 2017) Special broadcast live from the Map Room – Hart House. Artists, faculty members, writers, and francophone correspondents around the world. Special guest: Njacko Backo, Master of Kalimba, Kalimba, educator and performer.
- March 21, 22, 23, 24: « Celebrate the first glorious days of Spring and la Francophonie with French croissants » 10:00 AM to 11:00 AM at the French Department, UofT – Odette Hall, 50 St. Joseph Street, Toronto (FREE)
- March 22: CIUT Volunteer Appreciation Soirée. A glimpse of the past, music, DJs, food, fun and fabulous prizes as we celebrate our dedicated and committed long-term volunteers and donors @ Hart House, 2nd Fl., Music Room at 7:00 PM, (Event registration is by invitation only) Info: email@example.com
- March 24: Conference targeting students who are in the first cycle. Theme: Les métamorphoses.
- March 26: Is France becoming too American? Why do three-quarters of francophones believe the future of their language in Canada is threatened? Why do 80 per cent of Canadians or more believe that learning both English and French contributes to better understanding among Canadians?
Check out updates or become a volunteer : www.potpourrishow.com http://www.potpourrishow.com / http://www.centrefranco.org/semaine-de-la-francophonie/
CIUT-FM 30th Anniversary Celebration Showcase
On Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 from 12-2 pm, we welcome back former CIUT radio show host Barrie Farrell for a special one-off CIUT 30th anniversary program.
During the late 1980’s and early 1990’s, Barrie hosted a show called “Bears Den”. It was an open format program that came with a pledge to play music from one end of the spectrum to the great weird musical beyond. All styles blended to cruise, jive and rock and somehow make audio sense. Barrie was a board tech for roughly six months prior to hosting his own show. Additionally, Barrie also hosted a live broadcast on Friday evenings from C’est What. In the accompanying picture you can see Barrie sitting (centre) during one of those broadcasts.